MBCT course – 5 fortnightly sessions
How often do we meet?
5 full days over a 7 week period
Who is the course for?
General Public (over 18yrs)
How many people on each course?
23 (Oxford) / 12 (Portugal)
How much does the course cost?
£350 (Oxford) / €345 (Portugal)
5-day Fortnightly MBCT Course - Oxford - Saturday -1000-1530 - - May 18, June 1, 15, 22, 29th
5-day Fortnightly MBCT Course - Portugal - Sundays - 12:00 - 16:00 - Oct 20, Nov 3, Nov 17, Nov 24, Dec 1
The ‘MBCT Course – 5 fortnightly sessions’ includes:
- Mindfulness starts when we recognise the tendency to be on automatic pilot and we make a commitment to learning how best to step out of it and become aware of each moment. Practising how to purposely move attention around the body shows both how simple, and also how difficult, this can be.
- Further focus on the body begins to show more clearly the ‘chatter of the mind’ and how this tends to control our reactions to everyday events.
- With greater awareness, we begin to notice how busy and scattered the mind can often be. Learning to intentionally take the awareness to the breath, or body sensations, offers the possibility of being more focused and gathered.
- The mind is most scattered when it tries to cling to something and avoid/escape other things. Mindfulness offers a way to stay present, to view things from another place, to help take a wider perspective and relate differently to experience.
- Relating differently involves bringing to experience a sense of ‘allowing’ it to be just as it is, without judging it or trying to make it different. Such an attitude of acceptance is a major part of taking care of oneself and seeing more clearly what, if anything, needs to change.
- Negative moods and the thoughts that accompany them restrict our ability to relate differently to experience. It is liberating to realise that our thoughts are merely thoughts, even the ones that say they are not!
- There are some specific things that can be done when depression, anxiety or stress threatens. Taking a breathing space will come first, and then deciding what action, if any, to take. Each person has his or her unique warning signs and having an awareness of these, ‘spotting’ them early, will help in making plans for how best to respond to the turmoil of the mind, depressed mood etc, before it becomes too overwhelming.
- Maintaining a balance in life is helped by regular mindfulness practice. Good intentions can be strengthened by linking such intentions to a positive reason for taking care of oneself.
Our MBCT course teachers are fully trained and hold the OMC ‘Certificate of Competence to teach MBCT’. They are listed on the UK Network for Mindfulness-based Training Organisations website, which means they have been able to demonstrate (via an assessment process) that they meet the UK Good Practice Guidelines for Mindfulness-Based Teachers, i.e. they are suitably trained, committed to continuous professional development, hold appropriate insurance and are receiving supervision for their teaching.
Is this the right course or the right time for me to attend? Attendance on MBCT courses Some issues have been found to limit or prevent people from benefitting from our public MBCT courses, please read this information carefully.
Suitability to attend: The OMC will use the information collected on your online application form to assess your suitability to attend the course you have applied for. It will be held securely, in accordance with the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, and will not be passed on to any third party without your consent. Following the submission of the application form the Course Lead may contact you, using the personal data you provide, to discuss if the programme is right for you at this time. If you mutually decide that it is not, we will return your payment in full.
Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) – Course Information: Please read this leaflet for further general MBCT information and, if you have booked onto one of the courses, prior to attendance.
Please read the terms and conditions prior to booking: OMC Terms and Conditions